We went for our second trip… and survived!

Exactly one year later from our disastrous Big Bear trip, we ventured out to San Diego these past three days for another attempt to travel. I can now report that LO can travel quite well. Some highlights from our trip…


He didn’t complain too much in the car
We came prepared with our arsenal of books and toys to make sure that he had plenty to do in the car ride.

We stayed in atwo-room suite
Most hotel rooms are single-room suites which would absolutely not work with LO. We needed a separate bedroom for him so that we didn’t have to shut all the lights at 7:30, especially since we don’t even sleep until about 10:30.

He didn’t need any sound machines
He slept through both nights just fine without having to use any sort of white noise.

He slept in! And I mean, he really slept in!!
LO normally wakes up anytime between 6:30am to 7am. So imagine our surprise today when he slept in not for 15 minutes… nor for 30 minutes… but for two hours! The kid woke up at 9am! Or 8:50am if you want to be precise. He has never done that before. I guess someone was feeling the hotel sheets. The first morning, he woke up at 6:50am and cried for about two seconds before sleeping in some more until about 7:30am.

We swam in the pool
Thank goodness for heated pools! Since we were afraid it was too cold for the beach, we opted to swim in the pool instead, which LO seemed to enjoy.

Our hotel room had a full kitchen
Having the full kitchen helped us prepare LO’s food and milk easily so that not much was disrupted from his normal day. That said, he was still very much open to eating the food we ordered. We ate at a diner this morning where he got bored of the bagel I packed for him and instead reached over for the waffles I was eating.

We met up with cousin IR!
Speaking of which, we were able to have breakfast with my cousin IR who lives in San Diego. I was so glad I was able to catch up with her, albeit in a quick and loud restaurant (with young kids, the restaurant has to be quick and loud, especially with this one!). I wish we could have hung out more but any little bit of hanging out is good in my book!

Cousin IR baby sat for us
On Friday night, my cousin came over to our hotel after LO was sleeping so that my husband and I could eat dinner alone. Such a nice treat to be able to eat at a non- child-friendly restaurant meant only for grownups! And our food was delicious.

We stopped during the drive at a great library
In order to stretch our legs, we made it a point to stop halfway during the trip. Just our luck that Capistrano had a cute little library that has one of the best children’s section among branch libraries (nothing so far has topped LA’s central library’s children’s section. That place is AMAZING). They had a whole section of the library devoted just for kids, and within that, a huge room just for primary kids. LO got his fill of books, especially since he had slim pickings from the few that we brought with us for three days.

LO pet a donkey
In Old Town, there was this random sign about donkeys that we followed. We were completely alone with two donkeys who were both eating their grass. How random is that? I showed LO how to pet the donkey. No one else was there; no one to fight space for. And talk about up close and personal.


We couldn’t really see most of the animals at the zoo up close and personal
Our trip’s main event was the San Diego Zoo. The zoo housing non-domesticated animals and such, we really couldn’t see most of the animals closely. There were a few exceptions though. One was the jaguar. No, we didn’t pet the jaguar (imagine that!); instead, the jaguar was separated from us by a glass window. But he was pacing right in front of us, with LO pressed against the window with a clear view. We also were pretty close to the hogs (complete with seeing him poop in action), the llamas, the zebras and the giraffes (what an amazing sight to see giraffes in person! They are HUGE!). But the other animals were either too far off or blended in too much to their backgrounds for LO to pick them out.

LO got grumpy on Friday night
I have a few theories as to why this was: 1) long day of being strapped in a stroller at the zoo, 2) me not letting him stay to watch the elevators or the doors open and close, 3) hot, tiring day. Either way, he was a big grump the second night and I couldn’t wait to give him a bath and put him to sleep already just so that I could have some peace and quiet. Everything upset him, so I just had to realize that it was the end of the day, he’s put up with a lot of our reprimands, and he’s just delirious with tiredness.

The hotel walls are THIN!
I’m so surprised LO was able to sleep in the way he did because I sure had a difficult time falling asleep. I could hear muffled sounds from the neighbors next to us. Thankfully they weren’t doing anything outrageous, just laughing and snoring, but I don’t need to hear either of those sounds, especially when we’re early sleepers and they were up til probably midnight.

Overall, a great and successful trip.

I’m so glad that we can travel with LO now. He’s older, so of course it’s easier, but for a while there I was afraid that traveling with him would just be a nightmare. Thankfully everything went smoothly for us.

Next stop… San Francisco?


Join the discussion:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s