On a more positive note, he is healthy in all other ways. In fact, we filled out a survey that helps doctors determine whether further evaluation needs to be done regarding autism. He passed 100% and didn’t show signs of autism. Below is the survey:
1. Does your child enjoy being swung, bounced on your knee, etc.? Yes.
2. Does your child take an interest in other children? Yes.
3. Does your child like climbing on things, such as up stairs? Yes. He’s not an avid climber; for instance he doesn’t put much effort into climbing on the couch, but he will climb the stairs up to our apartment.
4. Does your child enjoy playing peek-a-boo/hide-and-seek? Yes. He even plays peek-a-boo with us, where he will “hide” and we’ll say, “Where is he?”
5. Does your child ever pretend, for example, to talk on the phone or take care of dolls, or pretend other things? Yes. We also bought him a toy phone to further encourage pretend play.
6. Does your child ever use his/her index finger to point, to ask for something? Yes.
7. Does your child ever use his/her index finger to point, to indicate interest in something? Yes
8. Can your child play properly with small toys (e.g. cars or bricks) without just mouthing, fiddling, or dropping them? Yes. He figured out how to snap pieces of Legos together.
9. Does your child ever bring objects over to you (parent) to show you something? Yes.
10. Does your child look you in the eye for more than a second or two? Yes
11. Does your child ever seem oversensitive to noise? (e.g., plugging ears) No.
12. Does your child smile in response to your face or your smile? Yes.
13. Does your child imitate you? (e.g., you make a face-will your child imitate it?) Yes
14. Does your child respond to his/her name when you call? Yes
15. If you point at a toy across the room, does your child look at it? Yes
16. Does your child walk? Yes.
17. Does your child look at things you are looking at? Yes.
18. Does your child make unusual finger movements near his/her face? No.
19. Does your child try to attract your attention to his/her own activity? Yes.
20. Have you ever wondered if your child is deaf? No. Actually, he has such acute hearing that I’m surprised at the slightest sounds he’ll hear. This does not bode well obviously with nap time!
21. Does your child understand what people say? Yes.
22. Does your child sometimes stare at nothing or wander with no purpose? No.
23. Does your child look at your face to check your reaction when faced with something unfamiliar? Yes.
I’m so glad that he’s social and doesn’t exhibit any signs of autism.